Nail fungus on the big toe is manifested by a thickening of an unsightly appearance. Statistics say that more than a quarter of the entire population is affected by onychomycosis.
It is laborious and time consuming to treat the disease, after the course there will be relapses.
Why does the fungus appear
All factors that contribute to thumb fungus infection are due to the fact that the pathogenic spores of the fungus penetrate the skin.
You can get infected through infected objects when in contact with them, for example using other people's things - shoes, towels
The risk group for onychomycosis of thumbs includes people who suffer from flat feet, excessive sweating, sloppy, sloppy at home.
Causes of infection with a fungal infection:
- Wearing tight, uncomfortable shoes aids in the development of pathogenic flora and the reproduction of bacteria as perspiration increases. The big toe is the most attacked. The spores of the fungus, multiplying, fall into socks, other things and spread on the floor. Infecting others.
- Shoes made of low-quality, dense, non-breathable artificial materials "smother" the legs, contributing to the growth of bacteria.
- Ignore hygiene rules in public places. Wear shoes when visiting saunas, swimming pools and showers - this will protect you from foreign bacteria.
- Never wear someone else's socks, tights or shoes, or lend your own. If you're trying on shoes, make sure you have your own sock to try on.
- Fungal infection is caused by immune problems. Weakened immunity is difficult to deal with viruses and fungi. It is difficult to treat the fungus in people suffering from diabetes, psoriasis, varicose veins, obesity, infected with HIV.
- Neglecting elementary rules like washing your feet with soap every day, changing your socks, treating your nails helps in the development of fungal infections.
- Improper treatment and care of corns, cracks and corns can cause fungal spores to reproduce on the big toe.
Symptoms and signs of pathology
Fungal disease occurs due to infection with fungal spores. The infection will not lead to a fatal outcome, but it can go from the nail to the toe and neighboring fingers.
The disease is initially almost not noticeable, suspicion arises when a yellow tint appears on the nails, and then brown with seals and delaminations. Compacted and exfoliated nails cause great discomfort when wearing shoes.
Medicine divides onychomycosis into 3 levels:
- Initial - the nail plate is covered with spots and stripes of a yellow hue, the feet are still unaffected during this period.
- The second stage - the shine disappears, the color turns brownish, an unpleasant smell comes from the legs.
- Advanced level - the nail exfoliates the skin, becomes loose, crumbles. There are pains. This stage is dangerous, the spores, falling, spread into the surrounding space.
With symptoms such as peeling skin of the toes, periodic appearance of blisters, redness, cracking, one should be alert and take preventive measures to prevent mycoses.
Features of the treatment of the disease
Fungal infection of the feet starts with the thumbnail. The fungus spores are comfortable on the top layer of the nail plate, from where they start their way to the matrix.
As the thumb nail is affected first, treatment starts there. The method of action of drugs has a local-external and systemic effect. The approach should be individual, taking into account the signs of pathology and the condition of the patient's internal organs.
The treatment approach is complex. Disinfectants, bacterial-type antifungal agents, pulse therapy are used.
Pulse therapy involves a long-term exposure regimen with periodic changes in treatment types. This regimen contains oral medications for one week with a repeat after 3 weeks.
Every day, agents are used that suppress the reproduction of pathogenic microflora.
Using a systematic approach allows you to increase the chances of completely recovering from the disease. Complex therapy includes taking vitamins and immunostimulating drugs.
Drug use is based on the cumulative principle. The drugs are concentrated and provide protection against the disease for a long time.
ointments to get rid of
Preparations for external use are different ointments, and more options - varnishes and lotions.
The mechanism of action of ointments is based on the destruction of the cell membrane of fungal spores. The course of treatment is long and is carried out until the final release. Dead layers are cleaned up with a file.
Iodinol is used as a lubricant. The result is obtained if the infected person's shoe sock is lubricated from the inside, a cotton swab dipped in medicine is applied to the nail.
Tar and sulfur ointments have been shown to be quite effective as antifungal drugs.
All ointments when used give a good result. But the treatment must be prescribed by a specialist. Different ointments purposely affect the fungus of different nature. Only a doctor after conducting laboratory research can choose the most effective remedy.
We get rid of it at home with the help of folk remedies
Traditional medicine offers many recipes to get rid of fungal diseases. Treatment of onychomycosis in the big toe at home is carried out in the following ways.
With the use of iodine
Onychomycosis is successfully treated with iodine baths. Water is poured into a basin at a temperature of about 40-45 degrees, iodine alcohol is poured drop by drop.
For 1 liter of water you need 3 drops of iodine - depending on the volume of the container, you can calculate the right amount.
Place your feet in the water and hold until the water cools. Peroxide treated scissors cut the affected part of the nail plate. After the procedure, the nail and the skin around it are treated with peroxide. The effect will be enhanced if an antibacterial ointment dressing is applied.
Effective use of common vinegar
Room temperature water is diluted with 9% vinegar in a 2 to 1 ratio. Bath time is 15 minutes. Then the damaged nail must be filed or cut. The duration of manipulations is at least 2 weeks.
Lemon and potatoes help
- Fresh lemon should be dipped in boiling water - so that it has more juice. Cut the slices and apply to the damaged nail. Citrus is fixed with a plaster. A good result will be if the compress is done every night and kept all night.
- Peel the potatoes. The component is boiled, water is poured into a bowl and ground to a puree state. The legs rise in the broth, then the softened growths are cut. After cleaning, the porridge is applied for half an hour and washed off.
Medicinal plants in the fight
- Celandine. The fresh juice of this amazing plant can cure almost all types of fungal diseases. Within 2 weeks, a fresh plant (leaf and stem are crushed) is applied to the affected nail plates and skin. If possible, change the compress every 2-3 hours.
- Poplar bark. Nail baths are prepared on the basis of 200 g of the ingredient per liter of water. The manipulation is carried out for 15 minutes in water that the leg can tolerate. After bathing, a mixture of mild soap and soda is applied to the nails. The ratio is 1: 1. After 30 minutes, everything is washed off with warm water. The nail after this procedure will begin to renew itself.
As an additional prophylactic, baths with sea salt are used.
The nail comes out of the thumb
Fungal nail disease is characterized by external manifestations such as exfoliation of the nail plate of the skin. The back part of the nail darkens or turns blue.
This is because a layer of air accumulates in the cavity under the nail, which becomes larger over time.
The more the process develops, the more pain the person feels. The nail lifts up, pustules and bloody discharge appear.
With detachment, treatment is used:
- The use of local treatment - ointments, along with medicines in pill form, external and internal use will give the best result;
- You can use laser treatment methods, such procedures are done in beauty salons;
- With the detachment complete, you should immediately contact the surgeon.
To treat the nail, if it leaves your finger without fungus or with fungus, you should drink gelatin solutions, follow the hygiene requirements and do not have a pedicure.
Effective fungal treatment
Medications recommended for these injuries:
- Local influence media. General purpose medications can be purchased without a prescription. But you need to use the usage rules specified in the instructions. Otherwise, there will be no effect.
- Means of systemic influence. These are pills and pills that, along with ointments, are prescribed by a dermatologist.
- Laser treatment is quite effective. The treatment does not cause pain. The procedure does not harm the patient's body. There are no recurrences after laser cleaning.
- Hardware pedicure procedure is less popular than laser therapy, but the effect is wonderful. More often, this method is used in advanced cases.
- Surgical manipulations have not yet received enough popularity, but their effect is quite strong. The disadvantages of this manipulation are pain and a long rehabilitation period.
which tool is better
Varnishes and medical serums are recognized as effective and effective drugs in antifungal therapy.
The price of these drugs is higher than conventional ointments, but the effectiveness of the drugs is high.
Ringworm appeared on the arm
Fungal diseases of fingernails are less common. The most common infection is caused by the fungus Candidiasis. Nails are also affected by filamentous fungi.
You can get infected by shaking hands, through infected gloves from other people, even yourself. By receiving spores from other parts of the body.
Treatment of fungal infections on the hands is prescribed depending on the type of fungus, the age of the infected person and the stage of the disease.
Initially, you need to get rid of the causes of the disease, strengthen the immune system, get rid of bad habits.
It is not necessary to be treated with antibiotics during this period. The patient must change the diet - remove from the foods used those that help in the reproduction of the fungus, these are sweets and an abundance of foods with carbohydrates.
The doctor prescribes research and, depending on the type of fungus, prescribes drugs and prescribes a course of treatment. More often than not, it's a combination therapy.
If the patient has an acute inflammatory process, local treatment should be avoided. The exacerbation must be removed.
For the patient, it is necessary to eliminate the interaction with the means and household items that cause the development of the disease. Acute inflammation can be removed with time-tested medications such as bright green, fukortsin, potassium iodide.
For nails, it is convenient to use varnishes for treatment. With a fungal infection of the fingernails, the spores quickly spread through the skin and fall into the creases between the fingers.
Antifungal drugs will increase their effect if folk remedies are used in the treatment. But they should be used only after consulting a doctor.
The most important and safe advice for anyone who does not want to get this nasty infection or dreams of getting rid of it for good is strict compliance with hygiene requirements and preventive measures to prevent the disease.
The result can be obtained if you follow the rules of personal prevention - do not put yourself in conditions where you can get infected with mold spores - have a personal comb, personal slippers, never use other people's things.
If this nuisance has already happened, then it is not necessary to allow it to spread, but to start treatment in time in the early stages. If you have any symptoms similar to a fungal infection, see a doctor right away.